USOC: Foreign athletes to get expedited access to US events

DENVER — The U.S. government has told the U.S. Olympic Committee that the travel ban put in place over the weekend shouldn't impact athletes traveling to the United States for international events.

In a statement Monday, USOC leaders said the government told them it would work to ensure athletes from all countries would have expedited access to the United States for international competitions.

A World Cup archery event is scheduled for Las Vegas on Feb. 10.

Iran, one of the seven countries listed on the ban, brought one archer, Zahra Nemati, to last year's Olympics. The status of Iran's archery team for the World Cup is not known.

The U.S. wrestling team travels to Iran next month for a World Cup event, and the head of the federation said plans are still in place for that trip.

Other events in the United States later this year include the Boston Marathon and Prefontaine Classic in track and field, World Cup cycling events and another World Cup archery contest. When those events take place, the impact of the ban and its legality could be different than it is currently.

"We're in contact with (track's international federation) and the USOC, and we're all committed to doing whatever we can for athletes to travel however they need to for events," said Jill Geer of USA Track and Field.

All this comes with the International Olympic Committee set to award the 2024 Olympics in September. Los Angeles is a finalist, along with Paris and Budapest, Hungary.

In a statement, Los Angeles mayor Eric Garcetti depicted the bid as one for "a low-risk Games that gathers nations together, showcases American values, and brings benefits, not burdens, to our community."

"I am confident that the IOC will evaluate our bid on these merits," he said.

In announcing their latest contact with the government, USOC chairman Larry Probst and CEO Scott Blackmun issued a joint statement Monday recognizing that "the Olympic Movement was founded based upon principles of diversity and inclusion."

"We also acknowledge the difficult task of providing for the safety and security of a nation," the statement said. "It is our sincere hope that the executive order as implemented will appropriately recognize the values on which our nation, as well as the Olympic Movement, were founded."

You may also like these

Judge to Ex-NFL star: Can't ignore the damage you...

Aug 18, 2016

Former NFL star Darren Sharper is sentenced to more than 18 years in prison for drugging women in...

Ryan Lochte says 'immature behavior' got him into...

Aug 21, 2016

American swimmer Ryan Lochte said he over-exaggerated what happened at a Rio de Janeiro gas station...

Prosecutor says he doesn't believe Sandusky...

Aug 23, 2016

The lead prosecutor in Jerry Sandusky's 2012 child sexual abuse trial says he doesn't believe a man...

Rio Olympics kept NBC on top with viewers again...

Aug 23, 2016

The Olympics in their final week were still golden for NBC

Federer looked into ways to play either Olympics...

Aug 24, 2016

Roger Federer says he contemplated scenarios in which he would play in the Olympics and skip the...

About Us

Sportify News offers you high quality sports journalism. Take a deep look in the world of sports as we bring you the latest news on acquisitions, sponsorships, lineups and more!

Contact us: sales[at]sportifynews.com

Subscribe Now!