The Latest: MSU president says settlement helps healing

FILE - In this Nov. 22, 2017 file photo, Dr. Larry Nassar, 54, appears in court for a plea hearing in Lansing, Mich. Michigan State University announced Wednesday, May 16, 2018, that it has reached a $500 million settlement with hundreds of women and girls who say they were sexually assaulted by sports Nassar in the worst sex-abuse case in sports history. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya, File)

Michigan State University's interim president says the school's $500 million settlement with victims of former campus sports doctor Larry Nassar will help the survivors and school heal

EAST LANSING, Mich. — The Latest on Michigan State University's $500 million settlement with victims of former sports doctor Larry Nassar (all times local):

1 p.m.

Michigan State University's interim president says the $500 million settlement with victims of former campus sports doctor Larry Nassar is important to help both the survivors and the school heal.

John Engler wrote a letter to the campus community Thursday, a day after the deal with 332 accusers was announced. He apologized for what Nassar put the women and girls through and said reaching a prompt and successful resolution for their lawsuits had been a top priority since he became president in February.

He says all of Michigan State's insurers participated in the mediation and "we expect all of them to fulfill their contractual obligations." He says he will work with the school's governing board in the days ahead to develop a strategy to pay the settlement.

Engler says 31 victims were MSU students. He says the settlement will help survivors and their families avoid years of litigation and begin the healing they seek, and will let the university keep making changes designed to prevent sexual misconduct and assaults

___

1 a.m.

Michigan State University reached a $500 million settlement with hundreds of women and girls who say they were sexually assaulted by former sports doctor Larry Nassar.

The deal was announced Wednesday by the university and lawyers for 332 victims.

Brian Breslin, chairman of the school's governing board, says Michigan State is "truly sorry" for what Nassar's victims and families went through. The university didn't disclose how it will pay for the settlement.

Also, state regulators filed a complaint against Dr. William Strampel, who was dean of Michigan State's medical school and Nassar's former boss. Strampel is accused of failing to properly supervise Nassar.

Nassar sexually assaulted women and girls while working at Michigan State. He also worked for USA Gymnastics, which trains athletes for the Olympics.

You may also like these

'He's San Francisco': Tony Bennett honored for...

Aug 20, 2016

The city of San Francisco threw a 90th birthday bash for Tony Bennett, who first sang "I Left My...

Taking stock: NBC learning about changed viewer...

Aug 19, 2016

NBC says it hopes to take lessons from how some of its tech-savvy consumers are experiencing the...

Kobe Bryant starts $100 million investment fund

Aug 22, 2016

Retired NBA star Kobe Bryant is moving to Wall Street, announcing the formation of a $100 million...

Prosecutor says he doesn't believe Sandusky...

Aug 23, 2016

The lead prosecutor in Jerry Sandusky's 2012 child sexual abuse trial says he doesn't believe a man...

Dynamic doubles duo: Federer, Nadal to team up in...

Aug 24, 2016

Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal say they plan to play doubles together when the Laver Cup debuts...

About Us

Sportify News offers you high quality sports journalism. Take a deep look in the world of sports as we bring you the latest news on acquisitions, sponsorships, lineups and more!

Contact us: sales[at]sportifynews.com

Subscribe Now!