Ex-boxer Vinny Paz accused of beating up, biting man

FILE - In this Nov. 2, 2016, file photo, former boxer Vinny Paz, subject of the film "Bleed for This," poses at the premiere of the film in Beverly Hills, Calif. Retired boxing champion Vinny Paz, whose comeback story after a car crash was dramatized in the 2016 film "Bleed for This," has been accused of attacking a Rhode Island man and sending him to the hospital. Providence police say they were called to a home early Tuesday morning, Jan . 2, 2018. They say when officers arrived, witnesses told them Paz had accused a friend of stealing $16,000 and then assaulted him. (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File)

Retired boxing champion Vinny Paz, whose comeback story after a car crash was dramatized in the 2016 film "Bleed for This," has been accused of attacking a Rhode Island man and sending him to the hospital

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Retired boxing champion Vinny Paz, whose comeback story after a car crash was dramatized in the 2016 film "Bleed for This," has been accused of attacking a Rhode Island man and sending him to the hospital.

The 55-year-old former champ said he had been robbed and did what he had to do.

Providence police said they were called to a home early Tuesday morning. When officers arrived, witnesses told them Paz had accused a friend of stealing $16,000 and then assaulted him.

The man was taken to the hospital with injuries including several broken teeth, a black eye and bite marks that drew blood. Witnesses told police that Paz left before police got there.

Police issued an arrest warrant for Paz on one count of felony assault later Tuesday.

The ex-champion made a series of statements on Twitter and to a local TV station on Tuesday, telling people to "stop" with the nonsense story and defending his actions.

"Bottom line is, I got robbed. And when that happens, you gotta do what you gotta do," he said in a brief interview with WPRI-TV outside his home in Warwick, before getting into an SUV and being driven away.

"NO COMMENT !!!!! I'm the bad guy oh really ??? I'm the victim !!! STOP," he wrote in one Twitter message .

Paz is a five-time world champion who retired from boxing in 2004. Since then, he has had several brushes with the law, including a 2012 no-contest plea to disorderly conduct for a fight with two women at a Providence bar. He also pleaded no contest in 2007 to drunken driving.

"Bleed for This," starring Miles Teller as Paz, tells the story of his return to boxing after breaking his neck in a car crash.

You may also like these

Dolphins' Hard Rock Stadium deal is for nearly...

Aug 17, 2016

Three Miami Dolphins and nearly two dozen other VIPs simultaneously smashed guitars in the end zone...

Penske drivers Pagenaud and Power feeling no ill...

Aug 20, 2016

Penske drivers Pagenaud and Power feeling no ill will as they chase a championship

Kobe Bryant starts $100 million investment fund

Aug 22, 2016

Retired NBA star Kobe Bryant is moving to Wall Street, announcing the formation of a $100 million...

Prosecutor says he doesn't believe Sandusky...

Aug 23, 2016

The lead prosecutor in Jerry Sandusky's 2012 child sexual abuse trial says he doesn't believe a man...

Dynamic doubles duo: Federer, Nadal to team up in...

Aug 24, 2016

Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal say they plan to play doubles together when the Laver Cup debuts...

About Us

Sportify News offers you high quality sports journalism. Take a deep look in the world of sports as we bring you the latest news on acquisitions, sponsorships, lineups and more!

Contact us: sales[at]sportifynews.com

Subscribe Now!