Golovkin to return in June after signing deal with DAZN

FILE - In this Sept. 17, 2017, file photo, Gennady Golovkin reacts following a middleweight title against Canelo Alvarez, in Las Vegas. Golovkin will return to the ring in June after signing a multiyear deal Friday, March 8, 2019, with DAZN, which gives him the possibility of a third fight with Alvarez. No date or opponent was announced for the fight, which will be Golovkin's first since being edged by Alvarez last September in their second bout after they fought to a draw in the first one. (AP Photo/John Locher, File)

Gennady Golovkin to return to ring in June, possibly setting up another fight with Alvarez

NEW YORK — Gennady Golovkin will return to the ring in June after signing a multiyear deal Friday with DAZN, which gives him the possibility of a third fight with Canelo Alvarez.

No date or opponent was announced for the fight, which will be Golovkin's first since being edged by Alvarez last September in their second bout after they fought to a draw in the first one.

Alvarez already has an exclusive deal with the sports streaming service and is set to meet Daniel Jacobs in a middleweight title unification match on May 4 in Las Vegas.

The deal calls for Golovkin to fight twice a year on DAZN for the next three years, giving the longtime middleweight champion from Kazakhstan plenty of opportunities to regain titles.

The biggest one would be through another bout with Alvarez after their two close contests, which were both pay-per-view fights. When Alvarez signed his contract last year, which his promotional company said would pay him a minimum of $365 million, DAZN executive chairman John Skipper said he hoped it would help attract other top fighters.

He finally got Golovkin, whom he called "a generational talent with international appeal."

DAZN has all the middleweight champions, with WBO champion Demetrius Andrade also fighting on DAZN. He called out Golovkin after defending his title in January, saying he would "destroy" Triple G.

GGG Promotions will do two cards per year on DAZN beginning in 2020. Golovkin and Skipper plan to discuss the deal next week at a press conference in the Los Angeles area.

___

More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

You may also like these

'He's San Francisco': Tony Bennett honored for...

Aug 20, 2016

The city of San Francisco threw a 90th birthday bash for Tony Bennett, who first sang "I Left My...

Tomas Berdych drops out of US Open because of...

Aug 20, 2016

Tomas Berdych has pulled out of the U.S. Open, saying he's been diagnosed with appendicitis and...

AP NewsBreak: Feds want to ban swimming with...

Aug 24, 2016

Federal regulators are proposing a ban on swimming with dolphins in Hawaii

Dynamic doubles duo: Federer, Nadal to team up in...

Aug 24, 2016

Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal say they plan to play doubles together when the Laver Cup debuts...

McIlroy glad to be wrong about Olympic success

Aug 24, 2016

This is one time Rory McIlroy says he was happy to be mistaken

About Us

Sportify News offers you high quality sports journalism. Take a deep look in the world of sports as we bring you the latest news on acquisitions, sponsorships, lineups and more!

Contact us: sales[at]sportifynews.com

Subscribe Now!