Ex-boxing champ Vinny Paz accused of assault: 'I got robbed'

FILE - In this Nov. 2, 2016, file photo, former boxer Vinny Paz, subject of the film "Bleed for This," poses at the premiere of the film in Beverly Hills, Calif. Retired boxing champion Vinny Paz, whose comeback story after a car crash was dramatized in the 2016 film "Bleed for This," has been accused of attacking a Rhode Island man and sending him to the hospital. Providence police say they were called to a home early Tuesday morning, Jan . 2, 2018. They say when officers arrived, witnesses told them Paz had accused a friend of stealing $16,000 and then assaulted him. (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File)

Ex-boxing champion Vinny Paz has appeared in a Rhode Island court on a felony assault charge but maintains his innocence and says he's the victim

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Ex-boxing champion Vinny Paz, who's accused of biting a man, knocking out his teeth and sending him to a hospital, appeared in court on a felony assault charge on Wednesday and was released.

Paz, a five-time world champion who broke his neck in a car crash, is known for his comeback story, which was dramatized in the 2016 film "Bleed for This," starring Miles Teller. He appeared in Providence District Court on Wednesday morning, not long after turning himself in on a warrant issued by police on Tuesday.

Paz, who appeared in court with black eyes, did not enter a plea and was released on personal recognizance. He was ordered to have no contact with the man he's accused of beating and was scheduled to appear in superior court in April.

Witnesses told police that Paz accused the man of stealing $16,000.

Outside court, the retired champ maintained his innocence, telling reporters, "I got robbed." He called himself the victim and said he planned to go to a hospital after leaving court.

Asked if he regretted taking the law into his own hands, he replied, "No."

Paz, 55, retired from boxing in 2004. Since then, he has had several brushes with the law, including a 2012 no-contest plea to disorderly conduct for a fight with two women at a Providence bar. He also pleaded no contest in 2007 to drunken driving.

You may also like these

Naquin's inside-the-park homer lifts Indians over...

Aug 20, 2016

Cleveland's Tyler Naquin hit a game-ending inside-the-park homer, sprinting around the bases to cap...

Tomas Berdych drops out of US Open because of...

Aug 20, 2016

Tomas Berdych has pulled out of the U.S. Open, saying he's been diagnosed with appendicitis and...

Sandusky appeal focuses on Victim 2's conflicting...

Aug 22, 2016

Jerry Sandusky's lawyers are focusing on conflicting statements from a man who settled a child sex...

US women's gymnastics team flips over Broadway's...

Aug 24, 2016

The U.S. women's gymnastics team has flipped over Broadway's "Hamilton," in a night that had...

Swimmer Feigen apologizes for 'serious...

Aug 24, 2016

U.S. swimmer James Feigen apologized for the "serious distraction" he and three teammates caused at...

About Us

Sportify News offers you high quality sports journalism. Take a deep look in the world of sports as we bring you the latest news on acquisitions, sponsorships, lineups and more!

Contact us: sales[at]sportifynews.com

Subscribe Now!